Overlapping, polygonal FOs

Subject: Overlapping, polygonal FOs
From: Ingo Macherius <Ingo.Macherius@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 03:38:14 +0200 (MET DST)
reader asked, if a flow object can have a polygonal border (compared to
rectangular) and if FOs may overlap. I guess he was comparing FO with the
Netscape <layer>-tag.
In my (quite limited) DSSSL understanding
1) FOs never overlap but include themselves
   (that is: a FOT is a special grove)
2) FO's are always rectangles

I remember the second point was subject to discussion and polygonal-border
FOs were added on the TODO-list for a DSSSL revision.

Q1: Is my understanding correct ?
Q2: What is the DSSSL/FOT way to represent <layer> like layout (including
    things like transparency).

Thanks in advance,
	++im
--
Snail : Ingo Macherius // L'Aigler Platz 4 // D-38678 Clausthal-Zellerfeld
Mail  : Ingo.Macherius@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx WWW: http://www.tu-clausthal.de/~inim/