Re: XS: needed features?

Subject: Re: XS: needed features?
From: "Stephen J. Tinney" <stinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 08:02:33 -0400 (EDT)
>Do `change bars' make sense?
>Are they not a mild complication which doesnt buy very much?
>
>Perhaps people can suggest meaningful uses of these FOs?

I am presently restructuring the Pennsylvania Sumerian Dictionary
project to have both Web and print versions, built around a constantly
evolving dataset.  I could anticipate using change bars to mark the
bits of a given lexical article that have changed since the last printing,
for example, or which have changed in the last year, for another example.

I also keep an eye on some lists of used books which change every week or
so.  At present I use diff and lynx -source to see what has changed without
rereading the entire list every time.  An enlightened vendor could use
change bars to do the same.

In summary, I think change bars are useful in situations where one is asking
oneself the question `what is new here?'.

An imaginable counter-argument would be `well, you can mark new/changed
material in other ways'.  Such ways would be dependent on the presentation
of the content, though.

 Steve