Re: XS: needed features?

Subject: Re: XS: needed features?
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:22:19 -0500
At 10:29 AM 5/23/97 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>On a first read of Jon's XS draft, two things jump out at me: the
>`score' flow object class and the `sideline' flow object class. Both
>of these strike me as being used principally in print media. Does
>`scoring' make sense in your Web browser? Do `change bars' make sense?
>Are they not a mild complication which doesnt buy very much?

Panorama and DynaText support change bars and I use them extensively to
mark changes in the documents I'm creating.  Change tracking and management
is a particularly difficult problem in electronic publishing and something
that all of my clients have asked for help with.  Certainly within the
technical publications arena, change bars are the norm for marking changed
materials (ATA being a primary exception, probably because of historically
having severely limited formatting tools to work with).

Cheers,

Eliot