Creating Headers and Footers Dynamically

Subject: Creating Headers and Footers Dynamically
From: David Megginson <dmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 21:54:27 -0400
W. Eliot Kimber writes:
 > All,
 >
 > I'm trying to figure out how to create headings by grabbing content from
 > subelements of the root, but my initial approach didn't appear to work
 > (nothing showed up in the header/foot when literal text does work.  Can
 > anyone tell me what I'm missing?
 >
 > Here's my current (non-working code):
 >
 > (root
 >   (make simple-page-sequence
 >     left-footer:   (process-matching-children "copyright")
 >     right-footer:  (process-first-descendant "logo")

The problem is that "a root-construction-rule matches any node of
class sgml-document" (ISO/IEC 10179:1996, 12.4.1).  You are not
currently processing the document element, so
(process-matching-children) does not give the expected result.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson                 ak117@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx