Re: Separating and including library routines

Subject: Re: Separating and including library routines
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 14:01:28 +0700
At 23:20 28/05/97 -0500, John Fieber wrote:
>On Wed, 28 May 1997, Stephen J. Tinney wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to have files of library DSSSL routines and include
>> them in a DSSSL specification?
>
>There may be some officially sanctioned mechanism, but I've just
>been including my "DSSSL Supplement" via an entity ref:

That's one way to do it.  Another way is to use the external-specification
element type form together with the use attribute on the style-specification
form.  In some situations this has advantages over using a simple entity
reference:

- you can make use of an entity that can itself be used as a DSSSL
specification. for example, suppose I have a DTD that adds tags to HTML,
then I might want my style specification for this DTD to make use of a style
sheet for HTML, but I can't use an entity reference for this because the
HTML style sheet is a complete SGML document.

- the DSSSL specification that does the inclusion can override rules and
definitions in the included specification; if you simply use an entity
reference, it would be an error to have a duplicate rule or definition.

James