DD: A possible example

Subject: DD: A possible example
From: Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 17:39:30 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello, during the last few days I have tried to find out how
I can handle bibliographical references in DSSSL, my idea was
to achieve LaTeX+bibtex functionality (more or less). It turned
out that this might be a good example for using a separate
transformation process. Since the keys to be inserted in the text
for citations can depend on the all other references occurring anywhere
else (eg for putting [10] somewhere you need to know that the reference
in question will come out as the 10th item on the list of all references
in some ordering). Of course I do not want to reconstruct the sorted
list every time I have to decide about a key, and passing the list around
from construction rule to construction rule is not possible as far as I
know (is this what "first class modes" pretend to solve ?). So I decided
to do a transformation which makes the sorted list of references explicit
in the structure of the intermediate document.

I have made a web page describing my results so far. It is available at
http://logimac.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de/mixed/tutorial/bib.html

There is not much on that page apart from an example DTD, document and
style sheet, but I would be happy to donate it as the basis of an larger
example for the documentation project, if others find it useful or
interesting (or both).

Regards, Matthias

PS: A small question of mine: the standard has node-list->list, but
I could not find the inverse function list->node-list. It can of course
be defined as

(define (list->node-list l)
   (apply node-list l))

This pops up another question: Wouldn't it be more consistent to
call node-list node-list-append ?