RE: displaying dashes

Subject: RE: displaying dashes
From: "Frank A. Christoph" <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 10:25:00 +0900
Brandon Ibach wrote:
> Quoting Bek Oberin <gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Brandon Ibach wrote:
> down to one
> when it happens
> > >    Which backend are you using for print output?  In TeX, two dashes
> >
> > TeX, you guessed it.
> >
>    Well, short of someone patching the OpenJade backend to fix this on
> input, you could alter your documents to use an entity reference for
> dashes and include something like this in your DTD:
>
> <!ENTITY % tex "IGNORE">
> <![ %tex; [
> <!ENTITY dash "--{}">
> ]]>
> <!ENTITY dash "-">
>
>    This will cause &dash; to be replaced with a single dash, unless
> you include the "-itex" option on the OpenJade (or other SP-based
> tool, such as nsgmls) command line, in which case %tex; will be
> defined as "INCLUDE", thus using the TeX-style &dash;, because earlier
> definitions of an entity override later ones.

That won't work because the TeX backend _does_ map {} to \{\}. What you
could try is to put a Unicode---assuming you're using
Unicode---Zero-Width-Non-Joiner (&#5132;) or Zero-Width-Space (&#5131;) in
there instead, although I dunno how the backend will handle those either...

Actually, I just tried it, and it comes out as (literally) "<5132>"...

--FAC