Re: Jade for HTML

Subject: Re: Jade for HTML
From: David Megginson <dmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 09:11:40 -0400
G. Ken Holman writes:

 > The shape of the solution in my mind's eye is waiting to be
 > expressed until after I deliver the DSSSL training course for
 > SGML-U Thursday/Friday this week in Boston (BTW, there are still
 > seats available for the course "Practical DSSSL Formatting Using
 > JADE"), but I'm confident that the tool James has given us will do
 > the trick ... I'm planning on expressing my entire web site in a
 > single instance and using JADE to emit the website ...  I guess it
 > will be egg on my face if I discover it cannot be done, but I think
 > everything we need is there.

Yes, it is.  I have done similar work in the past with SGMLSpm,
generating a website of over 1,000 heavily cross-referenced HTML pages
from a single SGML source.  Because it is side-effect free, Jade does
not allow you to keep information in auxiliary files like SGMLSpm
does, but since Jade has the whole parsed grove in memory anyway (and
as of Jade 0.7 you can walk through it with the `node-property'
primitive), there is hardly any need for auxiliary files anyway.

Are you taking advantage of the new CSS support in Jade, or are you
assuming older browsers?

Best of luck with the class.  If the site ends up somewhere public,
please let us all know the URL.

All the best,

David

--