Re: Linebreaks and entities in -t SGML stylesheets

Subject: Re: Linebreaks and entities in -t SGML stylesheets
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 11:39:22 -0400 (EDT)
Norman Walsh writes:
 > How can I ouput character entities in my stylesheet?  There must be something
 > I'm not understanding about the interactions of DTDs and stylesheets in
 > Jade at the moment.  If I include (literal "&nbsp;"), I'm surprised that
 > jade wants to interpret that entity reference.  What am I missing?

The stylesheet is also a SGML document, and it is parsed before it is
interpreted as a stylesheet, which is why Jade wants to interpret the
entity reference.

One quick workaround is to use string-append to put together your
entity reference:

(literal (string-append "&" "nbsp;"))

Since the ampersand is not followed by any name characters, it is not
interpreted as an Entity Reference Open.

Another is to declare &amp; in your stylesheet:

<!doctype style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN"
[
<!ENTITY amp   "&"                                       >
]>

and use "&amp;" in place of the ampersand:

(literal "&amp;nbsp;")

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham, Consultant
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                         Phone: 301-231-6931
6010 Executive Blvd., Suite 608                     Fax:   301-231-6935
Rockville, MD USA 20852                e-mail: tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx