Re: Linebreaks and entities in -t SGML stylesheets

Subject: Re: Linebreaks and entities in -t SGML stylesheets
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 23:26:16 +0700
At 09:00 25/04/97 -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
>Hello world,
>
>Two quick questions (I promise to think of not-so-quick one's later ;-):
>
>Is there any way to control the placement of linebreaks in the output
>of stylesheets in -t SGML mode?

You can't.

> I'm generating HTML at the moment, so it
>doesn't much matter, but it occured to me that in other DTDs, pernicious
>mixed content could be a problem.

Since 0.7, I've implemented a new strategy for REs.  Jade now never outputs
extra REs: it avoids problems with REs getting ignored by outputting REs
that would be ignored as numeric character references.

>How can I ouput character entities in my stylesheet?  There must be something
>I'm not understanding about the interactions of DTDs and stylesheets in
>Jade at the moment.  If I include (literal "&nbsp;"), I'm surprised that
>jade wants to interpret that entity reference.  What am I missing?

Remember that a DSSSL style sheet is an SGML document.  It gets parsed as an
SGML document before the DSSSL engine sees it.  Either use the entity-ref
flow object, or wrap a CDATA marked section around the instance part of your
stylesheet.

James