Re: SGML/XML syntax for DSSSL

Subject: Re: SGML/XML syntax for DSSSL
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 10:26:22 +0700
At 15:02 19/05/97 -0400, Gavin Nicol wrote:
>>- Provide an SGML/XML syntax for the non-programmatic parts of DSSSL.  This
>>  should support calling procedures.  You would also need some very simple
>>  "expressions" within attribute values (ie +2pt, 10%).
>
>Kind of like DynaText stylesheets...

And, more importantly in this context, CSS.

>I think I'd prefer going with a functional infix language... I remember
>the pratt parsers weren't too bad, and GUILE also has a C to lisp
>syntax compiler.

I see two possible alternative syntaxes:

1. An SGML/XML one; this wouldn't attempt to provide an SGML/XML alternative
to the entire syntax; rather it would just address the easy,
non-programmatic parts of DSSSL, and would allow embedding of expressions in
a non-SGML syntax at some pointers.

2. An alternative infix syntax for the entire language; Dylan seems to me
the obvious starting point.

I don't see these alternatives as mutually exclusive.  They're addressing
different audiences: (1) is addressing people who aren't programmers; (2) is
addressing people who are. I'm not (yet) saying I think these are both good
ideas, but I think they are both technically possible.

James