XS: Ports

Subject: XS: Ports
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 10:39:35 +0700
I think XS should be modified so that it doesn't need to make use of ports.

I found ports the hardest thing to implement in Jade.  I also think they're
hard to explain/understand.

Ports are currently essential for two flow objects:

- In table-part they're used for table headers and footers. Ports could be
avoided by having two additional characteristics on table-part:
table-part-n-header-rows which gives the number of initial rows that should
be treated as header rows, and table-part-n-footer-rows which gives the
number of trailing rows that should be treated as footer rows.

- In the multi-mode flow object, ports could be avoided by having an
additional multi-mode-mode flow object; the multi-mode flow object would
have a single port that accepts only flow objects of class multi-mode-mode.

James