Re: XS: Ports --> math

Subject: Re: XS: Ports --> math
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 11:45:05 -0400 (EDT)
> i have a worry that math is deprecated because its regarded as `hard',
> but things like sidelines are added because they are not much trouble.

Removing something because it is hard is entirely appropriate. We have done
that frequently in the XML effort.

> my view is that if math objects are not mentioned in XS, it kills
> stone dead the chance that M'soft or N'scape will support math, and
> puts back the day we can do full scientific publishing on the Web by
> another 3 or 4 years.

Not at all. Browsers will merely have Math display semantics *hard-coded*
to the MathML DTD. XS would give a layer of indirection that would allow
different DTDs,  but probably nobody cares too much about that.

> you might equally argue that the inclusion of
> what is regarded as esoterica will kill XS :-}

That's why we need to be strict about hard to-implement features.

 Paul Prescod