Re: XS: Ports --> math

Subject: Re: XS: Ports --> math
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 14:38:27 -0400
Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> i do.... you force me to munge our math to the MathML  DTD, which isnt
> much fun. and you remove any chance of me affecting the math with a
> style sheet. wotthehell wotthehell as archie used to say

Math in SGML has been so difficult for such a long time that I suspect
you are one of a rare few who have legacy to worry about. As I recall,
even Arbortext uses TeX as their "native" equation format. Once MathML
becomes "real" it will probably be the dominant math DTD format. So the
question becomes: are the others worth worrying about? Which one are you
using, and how large is your legacy base? Could MathML meet your needs
if there were an easy way to convert your data? If not, could it be
fixed so that it did meet your needs?

 Paul Prescod