Re: DSSSL Design Question

Subject: Re: DSSSL Design Question
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 23:55:59 -0400 (EDT)

> At 11:59 25/05/97 -0400, Paul Prescod wrote:
> >Why isn't it possible to iterate through flow object specifications, ask
> >about flow object types, rearrange individual flow object specifications
> >(within a sosofo) and so forth?
>
> Ease of implementation.  Jade, at least, depends very heavily on the fact
> that a sosofo is a black box as far as the style language is concerned.

I don't understand that, but I certainly trust you to know. Please consider
it an optional feature for some future specification. It would also be nice
to be able to pass information "down" the flow objct creation tree more
generally than characteristics allow. I find I don't need these things when I
make stylesheets that are hard-coded to a particular DTD, but when I want to
make functions that work across DTDs, I do need them -- that's why they are
probably appropriate for an optional feature (of DSSSL, not XS).

 Paul Prescod