Re: [DSSSL] TeX's streching space (or rubber length) ?

Subject: Re: [DSSSL] TeX's streching space (or rubber length) ?
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 10:43:41 -0400 (EDT)
> 1- Is it possible to get TeX's rubber length with dsssl, or more
> exactly Jade. what I want is more precisely the following :
>
>  |                                                                    |
>  |Some text left justified<----------------->Some text right justified|
>  |                           ^^^^                                     |
>  |                             blank space of variable length         |

Is this the same as a "leader flow object"?

> If there is no simple construct for that, i think the same effect may
> be given by defining a dsssl function. This function should create an
> empty space of length "(display-size) - (length<<left text>> +
> length<<right text>>). But I'm afraid I will go into trouble with
> ports here, any exemple of such a function ?

The hard part of this function is figuring out the size of a bunch of text --
that isn't possible in Jade. In Jade I can output a document that depends on
a font on a machine where that font isn't even installed. So predicting the
length of text in that font is impossible.

 Paul Prescod