Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?

Subject: Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 11:13:12 -0400 (EDT)
At 14 Jun 1997 07:43 -0400, Paul Prescod wrote:
 > But between now and then, I would rather administer (some) control of it
 > myself.
 >
 > I already use and publish my tutorial for courses that I teach. Would I
 > have to contact the foundation to get permission to do this in the
 > future? What if the combined manual is not publishable for another two
 > years. Perhaps in the meantime, a publisher wants to publish a portion
 > of it.  The foundation would have to negotiate with them on behalf of
 > the relevant authors. The foundation might reject an offer that I would
 > have accepted. That sounds like a hassle for all parties.

I understand.  I thought I'd posted something about this to the list,
but it turned out I'd been replying to private mail.  Here's what I
said in unexpectedly private mail on Thursday:

 | Perhaps all that is needed is a copyright statement that says
 | explicitly that the material can't be used for profit.
 |
 | Also, wouldn't it be workable for major sections such as tutorials to
 | remain under the copyright of their authors?  Does it really matter
 | who owns the copyright provided all the material is equally freely
 | distributable?
 |
 | That wouldn't really work for stuff comprised of really small chunks
 | such as an FAQ comprised of lots of small sections.  I guess we still
 | need a trusted entity in which to vest the copyright for when tracking
 | copyright of individual chunks isn't worth the effort or when an
 | author doesn't wanted to be bothered about who has the copyright
 | provided no-one turns the material into a $50 book.

The only other thing I would add is that there are many FAQs that
thrive because of their contributors but are under the sole copyright
of the FAQ maintainer/editor.

Regards,

Tony Graham