Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?

Subject: Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?
From: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 14:03:13 -0400
At 12:41 1997/06/14 -0400, you wrote:

>| Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 22:28:04 -0400
>| From: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@xxxxxxx>
>| Subject: Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?
>|
>| At 18:26 1997/06/13 -0400, Harvey Bingham wrote as a first fragment:
>| >Why
>|
>| I meant to include the following as motivation:
>|
>| I'd like to share with the group why the Yuri Rubinsky Insight Foundation
>| is an appropriate beneficiary of continued public work on DSSSL.
>[...]
>|
>| Among Yuri's many interests were moving DSSSL along on the web and elsewhere.
>| that we can do much with DSSSL. I'm sure Yuri would be delighted at this
>| continuing work we are doing, for DSSSL and for the YRIF.
>
>If I can second the request for an reason, this would explain it if it
>was Yuri the beneficiary of such copyright. But the foundation only
>bears his name. Why to the foundation?  What do they do that I'd like
>to support?

The YRIF is leading the advocacy for accessibility for the disabled on the
internet, and other media.

Mike Paciello, the Executive Director of YRIF, organized and gathered
industry movers and shakers to a meeting at the U.S. Whitehouse, where
administration stated support for better web accessibility, and action
responsibility from the Department of Education.

For more information please see the home page for YRIF:

   http://www.yuri.org/

>From there check the recent newsletter. Also, check Webable, the
authoritative directory of disability-related internet resources.

>I am also interested to participate, but, as Paul mentioned, I don't
>want people benefiting in a pecuniary way from my work, but I want to
>help people learning the language, as my tutorial attempts to prove.

YRIF has a primary role in the new W3C Web AccessibilityInitiative (WAI)
that is currently cranking up, with world-wide participation. See

   http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/WAI/Activity.html

The YRIF is an opportunity for us, as it provides far-reaching and important
help with advocacy, education, and technology for all of us who are
temporarily "abled" and those with a variety of disabilities. YRIF has
established a leading role for this work.

One of these opportunities that we should consider in our DSSSL discussions
is how to exploit the productive redundancy that enables those with different
disabilities to understand the information that DSSSL applications can
provide.

>--
>Daniel M. German
>http://csgwww.uwaterloo.ca/~dmg/home.html