Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?

Subject: Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 14:40:11 -0400 (EDT)
At 14 Jun 1997 12:41 -0400, Daniel M. German wrote:
 > If I can second the request for an reason, this would explain it if it
 > was Yuri the beneficiary of such copyright. But the foundation only
 > bears his name. Why to the foundation?  What do they do that I'd like
 > to support?

See http://www.yuri.org.  The home page is a bit sparse, but the
newsletter and donation information pages should give you an idea of
the work of the foundation.

Also see my previous mail in this thread: big chunks can remain under
the copyright of their authors (or editors) provided the material is
freely distributable.  The third-party copyright idea is for
reassurance that if you write something and hand over its copyright to
"the DSSSL Documentation Project" then no-one (e.g. me) will be able
to put your work in their $50 book without your permission while you
get nothing.

If there is any money to be made from our collective efforts (which
itself isn't certain), and if we make YRIF the beneficiary of that
money (which still isn't certain), then you, me, and the rest of the
contributors may get nothing but at least we can feel good about it.

We are all capable of working together while the information is all
free, it's this vexed money question that is the problem.  Naming a
third-party beneficiary of any money is meant to ease this tension.

Another side of this vexing question is, if someone places a large
chunk of work under the banner of the DSSSL Documentation Project,
retains the copyright, and receives contributions and enhancements
from other people working under the same banner, can they use that
material elsewhere for their own benefit?  Can they do so and still
expect to receive contributions towards a second edition?

We don't know what the copyright arrangement will be, but once we do,
if there is material that people have written that they don't want to
place under that arrangement but still want some association with the
project, we can still reference their material from the project's web
page, and both the project's web page and their material can be
referenced from pages like the DSSSL section of Robin Cover's SGML Web
Page. I, for one, don't want the DSSSL Documentation Project to be the
only game in town, and I hope I've never conveyed that impression.

Regards,

Tony Graham