Re: Constructing HTML links in -t sgml

Subject: Re: Constructing HTML links in -t sgml
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 20:54:02 -0400
Norman Walsh wrote:
> What I don't see myself figuring out in the short run is how to
> contruct the links when there's a cross reference between
> elements in the original source.

This is non-trivial. It was very easy with the old HTML back-end but it
is fairly difficult with the SGML back-end. There is a technique,
however. Output an <A NAME ...> attribute on anything you *might* want
to link to.

You aren't picking filenames and <A NAME attributes at random. There is
some code that chooses them.  You must replicate that in the code that
generates the link. I would suggest that you use the same code in both
cases. Something like this:

(element (body div) (make entity system-id: (div-file (current-node))))

(element refDiv
    (make element gi: A
		 attributes: (list (list HREF (div-file (attribute-string
"TARGET"))))) ))

You also need to do this for names of links inside files. You can use
"element-number-list" or "hierarchical-number-recursive" to generate
unique ID's. This problem is a little bit hairy but I hope I've helped
you on your way.

 Paul Prescod