Re: DD: Handbook outline so far

Subject: Re: DD: Handbook outline so far
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:20:40 -0400 (EDT)
At 20 Jun 1997 14:56 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
 > when can i buy a copy? :-}

It is to be freely available, but for you we can make an exception...

 >  > 13. STYLE SPECIFICATION MODEL
 >  >
 >  > 13.1 Flow objects
 >  > 13.2 Ports
 >  > 13.3 Features
 >  >
 >  >     This should include a table showing what flow object classes or
 >  >     procedures depend upon each feature.
 > ports and features are surely subservient to flow objects

True for ports, but I think my problem with features is worse: some
things beside flow objects (for example, HyTime support) require
specific features.  I now think features should be somewhere else
entirely, but where?

 >  > 13.7 Display space
 > not sure what you have in mind here. i'd say display space belongs
 > back in that conceptual intrioduction

This is the reference section, not the conceptual introduction.  Could
or should it be both places?

 >  > 13.8 Color
 > um. not entirely where this lives...

Where does it live?

Yet another reason why, firstly, this outline is available for comment
and, secondly, individual chapters' outlines should be further
developed by the more expert.

 >  > 16. SPECIFIC TOOL (JADE) EXTENSIONS
 >  >
 >  > 16.1 SGML backend
 >  > 16.2 RTF extensions
 > add a pointer for the TeX backend, please, as it will have extensions
 > soon, and its a good place to mention some gotchas

Easy enough to add.  I sometimes think some gotchas should be
mentioned when you're discussing, for example, the flow object class
to which they apply.  An example is to mention in the section on the
leader flow object class that Jade currently only supports dotted
leaders in the RTF backend.  A two-line paragraph marked with a "Jade"
symbol there would be more useful than having to look up leader
gotchas in the Jade section.  Such "gotcha" explanations can be
referenced from anywhere in an electronic document, but the occasional
two-line "Jade" or "JadeTeX" paragraph might be useful in a print
document.

 >  > 21. USING JADE'S SGML BACKEND
 > you had this earlier?

As a reference section.  This would be more examples of how to use it,
just as there's a reference section for flow object classes and "real
world" (doesn't anybody have a better name for this?) examples of how
to use them.

 > but i wonder if you should not add a specific section on
 >
 >  SGML to HTML transformation techniques

Good idea.  Wouldn't this be one of the examples under "Using Jade's
SGML Backend"?

 > ? naff, i know, but undoubtedly a FAQ.

As a fourth section?  An appendix?  Or is it better as a separate
document?

Do people think the so-called "real world" section should be
cookbook-style where there's lots of small tips or should be more a
narrative discussing what you can do?  Perhaps the "Making
stylesheets" section should be a narrative, but the remainder of the
"real world" section should be a collection of hints?

Are we ready to call for chapter authors or editors?

Regards,

Tony Graham