Re: Desperate Questions: [1]Absolute-Child-Number

Subject: Re: Desperate Questions: [1]Absolute-Child-Number
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 12:51:37 -0500
At 01:32 PM 6/24/97 -0400, Paul Prescod wrote:
>> My first challenge is calculating the absolute child number of an element.
>> The standard DTD has 7 different element types that are the first level
>> divisions within standard (H1, scope, refs, defs, notation, annexn,
>> annexi).  In order to number things automatically I need the absolute child
>> numbers of these element types.
>
>Does this just mean that you need the child number of %element% 's parent
that
>is of one of those types? I'm not sure what you mean by "absolute" in this
>context.

I need the ordinal position of %element%'s parent within the children
property of its parent.  For example, the HyTime standard has this structure:

 <scope>
 <refs>
 <defs>
 <h1>symbols and abbrevs
 <h1>notation
 <h1>base

The first H1's child number is "1", but it's "absolute child number" is
"4".  I need this second number.

Thanks,

Eliot