Re: Editing [was Re: Iteration with named let]

Subject: Re: Editing [was Re: Iteration with named let]
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:46:40 -0400
Dave Love wrote:
> Indeed -- one shouldn't read the parens.  With Emacs you get more,
> too.  You deal directly with units like sexps (bracketed stuff) and
> symbols for movement and cutting etc.

I really liked Edwin that comes with MIT Scheme when I was learning
Scheme. You can evaluate expressions right in the editor and see what
the result is. Not only have you skipped the compile and link steps,
you've also skipped the "save", "reopen", "parse" steps.

Alas, I'm not sure what the equivalent for DSSSL would look like. DSSSL
specs typically work on full documents and return fully rendered
versions of those documents. An interactive development environment
would have to include a rendering engine.

 Paul Prescod