Re: Localization and multiple encodings...

Subject: Re: Localization and multiple encodings...
From: "James Clark" <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 11:22:19 +0700
> I recently added a localization module to the DocBook style
> sheet.  This allows one to customize the generated text (like
> the word "Chapter" in running heads) to use the correct
> language, for example.
>
> Now I'm struck by the problem of how to handle multiple
> character set encodings.  Case in point: Alexander Taranov
> kindly sent me a Russian version of the file containing text in
> the koi8 encoding.
>
> I can forsee a real problem if this file grows to include
> several western European languages, a couple of eastern European
> languages, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean, for example.
>
> What's the best way to handle this situation?  Should each
> localization be stored in a separate file in the appropriate
> encoding?  Should all these characters be converted to \U-xxxx?

It depends what editing tools you have.  You could keep them all in one
file that uses UTF-8.  SP doesn't have support for the koi-8 encoding, so
if you want to use koi-8, you'll need to make that file a separate DSSSL
specification with an SGML declaration that declares koi-8 as the document
character set, and then use a system identifier with <osfile
bctf=identity>.

James