Re: Localization and multiple encodings...

Subject: Re: Localization and multiple encodings...
From: Alexander Taranov <tay@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 97 11:53 MSD
James Clark writes:
 > > I recently added a localization module to the DocBook style
 > > sheet.  This allows one to customize the generated text (like
 > > the word "Chapter" in running heads) to use the correct
 > > language, for example.
 > >
 > > Now I'm struck by the problem of how to handle multiple
 > > character set encodings.  Case in point: Alexander Taranov
 > > kindly sent me a Russian version of the file containing text in
 > > the koi8 encoding.
 > >
 > > I can forsee a real problem if this file grows to include
 > > several western European languages, a couple of eastern European
 > > languages, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean, for example.
 > >
 > > What's the best way to handle this situation?  Should each
 > > localization be stored in a separate file in the appropriate
 > > encoding?  Should all these characters be converted to \U-xxxx?
 >
 > It depends what editing tools you have.  You could keep them all in one
 > file that uses UTF-8.  SP doesn't have support for the koi-8 encoding, so

What do you mean by saing 'SP not support koi-8 encoding?'
I definitely can process my documents with  jade
(though i do not know how jade does this :-)
Besides to get rid of
russian chars i  have used ISOCyr1 entities set (&acy; &bcy; etc.)
just including in prolog %isocy1-set;

 > if you want to use koi-8, you'll need to make that file a separate DSSSL
 > specification with an SGML declaration that declares koi-8 as the document
 > character set, and then use a system identifier with <osfile
 > bctf=identity>.

Would somebody be so kind to give me an example of how to do this??

Alexander