Re: enchanced Jade TeX backend

Subject: Re: enchanced Jade TeX backend
From: Sebastian Rahtz <s.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 12:43:25 +0100 (BST)
 > ask, of course, how it was done in DSSSL not TeX.  As far as I know, the
 > page-n-columns characteristic formats the whole page that way, not parts of
 > it, and concatenating simple-page-sequences produces separate pages.  Did
 > you use a page-float with a page-display?

that was easy:

(element fm ;; ie the whole of my article frontmatter
	(make page-display
	   (make rule)
	   (process-children-trim)
	   (make rule)))

and it is inside a simple-page-sequence with n-columns: 2

I hope you agree that the observed behaviour is a correct
interpretation? by the way, can RTF do this sort of thing?

incidentally, for vile hacking, i added a non-inherited characteristic
`placement' to page-float the value of which is passed straight to
LaTeX's float mechanism.

and before you ask, yes ideally I need extra characteristics to
specify things like length, height, depth of footnote rule, and
footnote and float vertical space separation from main text. I start
to realize how much i take for granted in LaTeX, which I am going to
have to recode in DSSSL.

sebastian