Re: Paragraph breaks

Subject: Re: Paragraph breaks
From: Norman Walsh <norm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 07:56:07 -0400
> I decided to look into getting automatic indexing into the DocBook
> style sheet.  I'm not sure I'm even approaching this in a reasonable
> manner, but here goes.

Another thought occured to me as I was drifting off to sleep
last night, one that's basically a show stopper.

If two, indentical index terms occur on the same page, any code
that generates an index will be bound to produce the page number
twice:

  foo, 3, 5, 5, 8

There's no way for the DSSSL code to know that both references
occur on the same page.

So, perhaps a better solution would be to hack, er, adjust ;-),
the RTF back end to be able to output the index terms in RTF.
The same adjustment could be made for the TeX back end.

Then the formating engine could actually produce the index.

Comments?

--norm