Tables in RTF backend & element numbering

Subject: Tables in RTF backend & element numbering
From: christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Frank Christoph)
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 20:34:26 +0900
I have two questions.

The first concerns tables.

I want to format part of a table in the following way:

+----------+-----------
|          |
|  label   +-----------
|          |
+----------+---------
|          |

So I specify

  n-rows-spanned: 2
  cell-row-alignment: 'center
  cell-before-row-border: #t
  cell-before-column-border: #t

for the cell, but the table I get using the RTF backend looks like

+----------+-----------
|   label  |
|----------+-----------
|          |
+----------+---------
|          |

So the rows get spanned vis-a-vis the label, but the label doesn't get
aligned properly in the row-progression direction, and the border
seems to ignore the spanning specification.  Is this a limitation of RTF,
a bug in the RTF backend, or am I misinterpreting the intended semantics
of the characteristics?

My second question concerns numbering of elements with different GIs.
I have something like this in my document:

<A>
  <B>here</B>
  <C>there</C>
  <D>everywhere</D>
</A>

and I want to format this as

  1. B
     here
  2. C
     there
  3. D
     everywhere

so at first I used (child-number) to generate the numbers but soon realized
that this doesn't work because (child-number) applies to elements with the
same GI, and here I have three different GIs under A.  Is there a simple
way I can get this effect?

-- FC