Re: Paragraph breaks

Subject: Re: Paragraph breaks
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 15:29:51 +0100
Matthias Clasen wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Norman Walsh wrote:
>
> > If two, indentical index terms occur on the same page, any code
> > that generates an index will be bound to produce the page number
> > twice:
> >
> >   foo, 3, 5, 5, 8
> >
> > There's no way for the DSSSL code to know that both references
> > occur on the same page.
>
> I have spent some thought on how index processing might be done in
> DSSSL and looked through the standard for suitable mechanisms,
> but the closest I got was that this kind of post-processing of
> generated text might be exactly what general-indirect-sosofo is for,
> but since jade does not implement it, I could not verify this through
> experiments.

That's exactly the sort of thing general-indirect-sosofo is for.  The
generated objects passed as arguments to general-indirect-sosofo would
come from the page-number procedure, and the procedure passed as an
argument would take the list of numbers, remove duplicates and return a
sosofo.  It would probably be worthwhile having a
number-list-indirect-sosofo procedure (similar to
number-indirect-sosofo) specially for this to avoid requiring
general-indirect-sosofo. With such a procedure, I would have thought
this could be implemented in TeX. It couldn't unfortunately be done in
RTF (unless you were willing to do some postprocessing with Visual Basic
macros).

James