Re: Paragraph breaks

Subject: Re: Paragraph breaks
From: Sebastian Rahtz <s.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 15:16:25 +0100 (BST)
 > TeX has the \special{...} primitive for embedding arbitrary text in a
 > DVI file. I think something like this would be beneficial for DSSSL
 > style specifications. I guess this is the purpose of the non-standard
 > formatting-instruction flow object class but this class seems to be
 > linked closely with the SGML back-end.

not really, it works in the TeX backend too. You can say
formatting-instruction: "\\index{foo}" if you like. I dont promise
that something will not break if you go overboard, but arbitrary
\index commands would be OK.

But
 a) it would be nicer, if one as using an extension, to make it a
formally declared special flow object, which other back ends could
implement?

 b) there is the question of the specification of sub entries, `see
under and also', page ranges (ie `start index range for FOO here'),
and `index under'. never mind how you distinguish formatting, eg some
entries in bold, or the keyword in sans serif.

Sebastian