parameterized sosofo construction

Subject: parameterized sosofo construction
From: Graydon Hoare <graydon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:20:51 -0400 (EDT)
Hi again. slightly less rudimentary (although still probably old hat for
many) question about DSSSL, jade in particular:

I am interested in passing parameters from a sosofo to its child during
construction. Switching modes is, unfortunately, too coarse a solution as
I need to pass specific parent values down the tree. I have encountered
two sections in the DSSSL spec which are promising, labels and
reference-values, however I am unsure how a child sosofo constructor could
inspect these values to make intelligent decisions based on them. Has
anyone encoutnered this problem before? Liam suggested that this is
related to the use of first-class modes, but couldn't find anything
in the archive which specifies how to use them.

thanks
-graydon <graydon@xxxxxxxxx>