Re: parameterized sosofo construction

Subject: Re: parameterized sosofo construction
From: Norman Walsh <norm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:11:50 -0400
Graydon Hoare <graydon@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I am interested in passing parameters from a sosofo to its child during
> construction. Switching modes is, unfortunately, too coarse a solution as
> I need to pass specific parent values down the tree.

I'm not sure I have a really good handle on the problem you're facing.
Could you provide a more concrete example?

That said, my first impulse would be to think about the problem
in the other direction.  While I can't think of any way (other
than modes) to influence child construction rules from the
parent, there's nothing preventing the child from examining
it's parent and "doing the right thing".

For example, a child might format a section number as "A.1" if
it had an ancestral Appendix and as "1.1" if it had an ancestral
Chapter or simply as "1" if it had neither.

Does that help?

--norm