Re: parameterized sosofo construction

Subject: Re: parameterized sosofo construction
From: Graydon Hoare <graydon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:54:48 -0400 (EDT)
> For example, a child might format a section number as "A.1" if
> it had an ancestral Appendix and as "1.1" if it had an ancestral
> Chapter or simply as "1" if it had neither.

mmm. yeah I'm talking about the relationship between parent sosofos and
their shildren though. the unfortunate situation is that the sosofos are
being put together by following hrefs to ids, so there is no pre-existing
parent-child relationship in the grove I'm processing (at least, not a
useful one)

I'll describe the situation fully:

I have an xml-data document, which is a kinda funny-looking document used
to carry the semantics of a DTD in a set of elements. The upshot is that
you get a bunch of elements like this:

<schema>
<elementType id="paragraph">
   <group occurs="OR">
      <elt href="#heading">
      <elt href="#body">
   </group>
</elementType>

<elementType id="heading">
   <pcdata />
</elementType>

<elementType id="body">
   <pcdata />
</elementType>
</schema>

And the idea is to process an elementType, and when you find an elt,
follow it's href with
(process-node-with-id (attribute-string "href" (current-node)))
and you can manufacture sosofos which describe a prototypical document as
described by the xml-data doc.

Problem is, I want to make the prototype an HTML form, and (other issues
aside) I need to uniquely name every input element on the page. This
requires that, when I do the process-node-with-id, I pass along the
id of the element I'm coming from. Since scheme is lexically scoped, this
isn't really liguistically easy..

so (in closing)
anyone know how to pass some arbitrary value along from one make
expression to it's child?

-graydon <graydon@xxxxxxxxx>