Re: Another newbie question...

Subject: Re: Another newbie question...
From: Vivek Agrawala <vivek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 11:42:21 -0400
> how would I do that? Forexample, I have a document like this:
>   <MyDiary date="...">
>   <Text>
>   </Text>
>   </MyDiary>
>
>   I want to get the date attribute at any time not just when I process the
> MyDiary element... how would I do that and is it possible?? I noticed that
> when I tried this:
>   (attribute-string "DATE" MyDiary) it would be invalid... Please help..

When processing the <Text> node, you could do
  (attribute-string "DATE" (parent (current-node)))

For other situations, there are many navigation functions available to
reach the desired node, from anywhere in the grove. Eg, children,
descendants, ancestors, select-by-class.
See section 10.2.3 of the DSSSL standard.

-- Vivek Agrawala, Ph.D.
Siemens Corporate Research, Inc.	email: vivek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx