Re: Outputting arbitrary strings from Jade

Subject: Re: Outputting arbitrary strings from Jade
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 11:59:02 -0500
At 12:38 PM 9/5/97 -0400, Chris Maden wrote:
>I'm engaged in an experiment to produce tagged MIF from Jade.  I know
>(or at least, I'm fairly sure) that I can make a series of paragraphs
>containing the appropriate MIF codes; if necessary, I can output that
>as RTF and then "Save as text" from Word.
>
>That seems unnecessarily complicated, though, but I don't think
>there's any way (right now) to tell Jade, "output these characters,
>and not a one more."  Can anyone prove me wrong?  It would make me
>really happy.

You should be able to use the SGML transform back end and use the
formatting-instruction flow object to generate the MIF instructions, e.g.,:

(default
  (make formatting-instruction data:
    (literal (string-append
      "&lt;!Element.Tag '"
      (gi (current-node))
      "'" ; Rest of MIF gorp goes here
    )))

Note that we are developing a MIF back end for Jade (see our recent call
for beta testers)--perhaps O'Reilly would be interested in funding an
enhancement to enable the generation of MIF that includes markup structure
(essentially combining the SGML element flow objects from the SGML back end
with the formatting flow objects of standard DSSSL)?

Cheers,

Eliot