Outputting arbitrary strings from Jade

Subject: Outputting arbitrary strings from Jade
From: David Megginson <ak117@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:52:51 -0400
Chris Maden writes:

 > I'm engaged in an experiment to produce tagged MIF from Jade.  I know
 > (or at least, I'm fairly sure) that I can make a series of paragraphs
 > containing the appropriate MIF codes; if necessary, I can output that
 > as RTF and then "Save as text" from Word.
 >
 > That seems unnecessarily complicated, though, but I don't think
 > there's any way (right now) to tell Jade, "output these characters,
 > and not a one more."  Can anyone prove me wrong?  It would make me
 > really happy.

I once hacked up a dumb backend for Jade that simply dumped raw
characters to output -- I haven't kept it up-to-date with current
versions, however, and am no longer certain that I even have the
source file (it was under 30 minutes' work, however).

The problem with something like this is that you will have to do some
very expensive string processing to escape any characters that have
special meanings in your target language.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson                 ak117@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx