Re: Accessing command-line params from stylesheet

Subject: Re: Accessing command-line params from stylesheet
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:38:58 -0400
> Does this help:
>
> ---
> -V variable
>
> This is equivalent to doing
>
> (define variable #t)
>
> except that this definition will take priority over any definition of
> variable in a style-sheet.
> ---
>
> (from jade.htm)
>
> This would be more convenient if it allowed you to specify a string,
> but at least you can choose between strings using Boolean logic.

Mmm... not really.  (Disregard the private mail I just sent, Paul.)
What I would like to be able to do is say, "Process all of Programming
Perl, but only output MIF for the element with ID "PERL2-CH-7".
Right now, I just have a small, fixed stylesheet:

-=- ch07.dsl -=-
<!DOCTYPE style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN" [
<!ENTITY db2mif PUBLIC "-//O'Reilly//NONSGML Stylesheet::DocBook 3.0
to MIF 5.0//EN" NDATA DSSSL>
]>

(define (element-to-process)
  (element-with-id "PERL2-CH-7"))

<external-specification id="db2mif" document="db2mif">
-=- end -=-

Since I'm using this with a Makefile, I can generate this stylesheet
on the fly, but I'd rather not have to.  If there were some way to
either define a variable to an arbitrary value (like -DBUFSIZE=1024 in
C compilers), I'd be set.

I suppose I could have a whole bunch of (cond)s defining element-to-
process differently depending on a whole set of variables (one for
each chapter), and then -V one of them, but that would mean another
stylesheet for every book, since they all have unique IDs.

I think I'll have to have the Makefile build it on the fly for now.

Thanks,
Chris