Re: DSSSL extensions for XSL

Subject: Re: DSSSL extensions for XSL
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 06:56:54 -0400
These extensions to DSSSL look very useful, even for those not
interested in XSL (if there happens to be anyone in that category...).
Great work!

As I understand the iterative extensions, they do not really alleviate
the difficulty with passing information between construction rules. In
other words they don't seem to add much functionality to the language.
They just present a more familiar language interface to people who are
used to imperative languages. If this is the case, I would also like to
suggest that the imperative extensions include "do" which is not
currently documented as being available.

Is an upwards-only call/cc very valuable. I know that it can be used to
implement exception handling, but I think it may be more confusing than
helpful. A catch/throw special form might be more appropriate. Are there
other uses of an upwards-only call/cc?

Flow object macros seem like they will be very nice syntactically. Can
the flow object macro inspect the inherited characteristics in contexts
other than characteristic specifications or do we still have to wait for
first class modes for that??

 Paul Prescod