Re: Evolving strategies, was RE: An open challenge: HTML 4.0 tables

Subject: Re: Evolving strategies, was RE: An open challenge: HTML 4.0 tables
From: Sebastian Rahtz <s.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:19:11 +0100 (BST)
--text follows this line--
 > It seems that most people do not use it this way; does anybody?  Are
 > there
 > any evolving best strategies for making a style sheet that can generate
 > html or rtf or tex with no changes to source or style sheet?

I am puzzled as to what other people are using DSSSL for, if not in this
very way. Yes, there is a side show with Jade of using it as a
transformation system for SGML to HTML (which is very nice, thank you
James), but otherwise one writes style sheets which describe the
output in terms of abstract flow objects. Using Jade you get identical
results from the TeX and RTF back ends (modulo errors/lacks in either
backend), just what you want, surely?

Sebastian