Re: The DSSSList Digest V1 #188

Subject: Re: The DSSSList Digest V1 #188
From: Daniel Speck <dspeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 09:33:03 -0500
Vassilii Khachaturov wrote:

>         The hidden text rtf statement (\v) is used for designating
> hyperlink (MS docs call it a "hotspot") target/action description in MS
> MediaView/WinHelp when following \uldb, \strike or \ul (the latter
> statements must mark up the reference mark text).
>
>         When used w/o preceding hotspot, \v is interpreted, as usual as
> a hidden text marker
>         withing MediaView/WinHelp.

Based on this I think what is desired is support for the
formatting-instruction flow object class in the RTF backend. I modified
my copy of Jade1.0.1 to do this as suggested by Vivek Agrawala:

Just add a method to RtfFOTBuilder.cxx:
void RtfFOTBuilder::formattingInstruction(const StringC& s) {
os() << s;
}

(which, by the way, didn't work. I got an error message from the C++
compiler about not finding an appropriate definition for <<. I ended up
iterating over each character in s).

When I tried to use the formatting-instruction flow object class in my
modified Jade to produce footnotes (sorry, but I really needed to
produce footnotes and I couldn't wait until the full page-sequence flow
object class was implemented) I got a paragraph break at the point at
which I inserted my footnote. I suspect that the implementation of
formatting-instruction needs to be a little more complicated...

>         James Clark wrote:
>         > characteristic.  What do you need hidden text for? Does
> anybody know if
> > > Word's hidden text concept is supported by any other formatters?

I don't know what Word's concept of hidden text is but in general the
concept of hidden text is common in composition systems. For example,
XyVision's XPP has a cancel print command, TeX has \special{...},
Intergraph's ILP has (or at least had) a concept of deleted text that
could be restored, etc.

-dan

--
Daniel Speck                              e-mail: dspeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Research Engineer                          voice:     +1 301.548.7818