Need to stop '&' being translated to '&' by SGML B.E.

Subject: Need to stop '&' being translated to '&' by SGML B.E.
From: Aidan Killian <aidan@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:02:08 +0000
Hi,

	I am using the Jade SGML back-end and I am trying to stop
it from translating '&'s to '&#38;'.

	My application converts customer's SGML to HTML using JADE.
The customer has supplied entity sets that include the following:

<!ENTITY mdash CDATA "&nbsp;-&nbsp;">

	Their intention is that the '&nbsp;'s make it through to
the output HTML (general entities do not get interpreted in a
parameter literal!; right?).

	Is there any way to stop those '&#38;'s without resorting
to a 'character processing' DSSSL script.

(I have spent over an hour searching ['&', 'amp', '#38', you name
it] the DSSSL List archive without success; apologies if this
question is answered earlier.)

Any help appreciated,
		Aidan Killian