Line-fields and line breaks

Subject: Line-fields and line breaks
From: Richard Light <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:26:33 +0000
Hi,

I'm trying to use line-fields within a paragraph to get this effect:

line-fielded heading         The text of the paragraph starts here, and
                             wraps round to this margin to give a nice
                             block offset effect ...

The length of the line-field is the same as the start-indent:
characteristic of the paragraph, whose first-line-start-indent: is equal
to minus the line-field length.

This works fine unless the line-field is longer than the space allocated
to it.  In this case the first line of text is pushed to the right:

a very long line-fielded heading    The text of the paragraph starts
                             here, and wraps round to this margin to
                             give a nice block offset effect ...

(This is in the RTF back-end, which uses a tab character to separate the
line-field from the rest of the paragraph.)  The effect I would like is
for a line break to be inserted after the long heading:

a very long line-fielded heading
                             The text of the paragraph starts here, and
                             wraps round to this margin to give a nice
                             block offset effect ...

which is what my reading of the standard suggests it should do.  ("If
the content of a line-field area cannot fit into this width, then the
area grows to accommodate the content and, if the line-field occurs in a
paragraph, there shall be a break after the line-field.")

Have I got it wrong?  Is Jade getting it wrong?  Is there a work-around?

Richard.

Richard Light
SGML/XML and Museum Information Consultancy
richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx