Re: DSSSL deserted - XSL Mailing List ?

From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 12:34:26 -0500 (EST)
At 23 Dec 1997 16:35 +0100, Antoine Perier wrote:
 > This mailing list is less frequented than before (i.e. deserted) !

The mailing list is less active than it has been in the past, but it
is not being deserted:  new subscriptions are coming in almost daily,
and we now have over 400 subscribers.

The activity on the list is a function of its subscribers asking
questions and making comments.  The "DSSSList Archive by author" page
lists approximately 150 authors; of course a handful of authors list
dozens of posts each, but many of the authors list only one or two
posts.  Like every other mailing list that I've been on, at any one
time this list has many more subscribers than active posters, but when
people have something to say, they say it.

 > Is any status for XSL/DSSSL standard and softwares available ?

A proposal for XSL was submitted to the W3C by ArborText, Inso, and
Microsoft in August 1997 as a note for discussion.  The W3C is
creating a separate XSL working group since completing XSL requires a
different range of expertise than did designing XML and XLL, but
implementations of the proposed XSL are already being developed.  At
SGML/XML'97 in December, ArborText previewed it's "Cedar" XSL style
sheet support and Henry Thompson demonstrated his free xslj
XSL-to-DSSSL converter working with the free Jade DSSSL engine.

 > Is an XSL-dev mailing list existing ?

Not to my knowledge.  Some time ago, Jon Bosak, chair of the XML
working group, stated that the place to discuss XSL as on the XML
special interest group mailing list.  I don't know if an XSL special
interest group mailing list will be automatically created along with
the XSL working group.

There is a public W3C mailing list "to aid in the creation of a
briefing package for XSL", but it has never had any messages on it
since I subscribed in early November.

By asking after "XSL-dev", it appears you are interested in an XSL
parallel to the XML-dev mailing list.  That list is a non-W3C list for
discussion by "W3C XML Developers".

None of the above lists provides an XSL parallel for the DSSSList.
The DSSSList's subtitle is "the DSSSL users' mailing list", and its
stated function is "a forum where users of DSSSL can exchange ideas
and solutions".  The W3C lists are explicitly not for user-level
discussion, nor is a developers list likely to be.

When there is a need for user-level discussion of XSL, I would expect
that the scope of the DSSSList can include discussion of XSL.  Many
users of DSSSL, myself included, are also highly interested in XSL,
just as many of us have been interested in the dsssl-o and XS
precursors to the current XSL.  The DSSSList even hosted the XS
discussion earlier this year.

Regards,

Tony Graham