Re: Formatting "(Continued on next page...)"

Subject: Re: Formatting "(Continued on next page...)"
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 09:38:48 -0500

At 14:06 98/01/27 +0900, Frank A. Christoph wrote:
>P.S.: No one has commented on my last (1/22) message concerning possible
>implementions of "continued on next page"... Should I take this to mean that
>_no one_ feels a need for the feature, or that no one wants to venture a
>guess?

I'll pass for now on any comment because none of my customers have had a
need for this yet and I haven't been able to take the time to consider it.
It would require support by the back end and I'm not familiar with those
features common to formatting engines that would point to a possible name
or function for such syntax.  I would put the question to formatting engine
companies if there are commonly-adopted formatting semantics they have
implemented in the past, or are considered common practice, which would
give some direction to the syntax that would be used for such a feature.

The ISO/IEC/JTC 1/WG 4 (formerly ISO/IEC/JTC 1/SC 18/WG 8) experts working
on DSSSL for many years created the feature set for DSSSL by distilling
commonly supported formatting constructs based on their expertise.  I would
suggest you formalize a feature request to be submitted through your
national body's working group representatives to the WG experts and have
them respond with suggested syntax that would be supported in a revision to
DSSSL.

Not being an expert in formatting engines and the history of typography and
layout, I don't feel qualified to comment on the appropriateness of the
exact syntax you've suggested.

I'm sorry if this sounds like "passing the buck", but you would be better
served by getting their opinion than by getting my opinion.

--
G. Ken Holman            mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com