Constructing Groves in DSSSL with Jade

Subject: Constructing Groves in DSSSL with Jade
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:21:20 -0600
Am I right in thinking that Jade gives me no way to explicitly construct
new groves out of the box?  The challenge I'm facing at the moment is that
I want to be able to address objects by URL as part of an HTML output
transform.  In my documents I have location addresses like this:

<urlloc id="some-web-resource">http://www.foo.com/blah.html</urlloc>

My generic location address processing translates a reference to the URLLOC
into a node list.  Ideally, it would be a node in a "Web resource grove",
which might have a property set like this:

<propset>
 <classdef rcsnm="webresource">
  <propdef rcsnm="url" datatype="string">
  <propdef rcsnm="genurl" fullname="generated URL" datatype="string">
 </classdef>
</propset>

My URLLOC would use its content to construct webresource groves from which
my output processor could generate the necessary hrefs.  However, I don't
think Jade gives me a way to construct such groves.  Obviously I could
provide my own grove constructor function and link it into Jade, but that's
a bit beyond me just at the moment.

Of course, what I really need is a complete HyTime engine that can
construct a HyTime semantic grove for me.  That's being worked on, but it
won't be ready by say, the end of today.

Is there a way to do or simulate what I want with unmodified Jade?

My current plan is simply to assume that any continguous sequence of
datachar nodes is a URL, which is a hack but it will work for now.

Thanks,

E.

--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer