multiple rtf files

Subject: multiple rtf files
From: "James.W Wilson" <James.W.Wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:51:00 -0600

     I had the same need, on a large scale; I needed to generate tens of
     thousands of rtf files from single large chunks of sgml. Originally I
     split the sgml into tiny pieces and ran jade on each piece, but the
     per-file startup time made this very slow. I think this was because
     our dtd is very big; using xml might have helped this, but the 'xml
     dtd' needed for each file would still be pretty big...

     Anyways, what I'm doing now, and which is much faster, is running jade
     on the big chunk of sgml, converting it to rtf with little magic tags
     inside, and then running a fast scanner on the big rtf file to break
     it up into little rtf files based on the magic tags. This is sort of a
     flaky scheme, made even more so by the fact that I don't know rtf, but
     it works.

     James