How to specify the address of a flow object

Subject: How to specify the address of a flow object
From: Daniel Speck <dspeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 10:32:38 -0500
I've run into a problem with the link flow object class that I can't
seem to solve. I would like to link a footnote reference to the ultimate
destination of the footnote. The footnotes are to be treated as endnotes
and hence are moved to the end of a sectional unit using a mode. The
problem is that I don't know how to say that the flow object generated
by the footnote mode is the destination address of the footnote
reference.

The DSSSL standard has a link flow object class (described in section
12.6.28.3) that has a destination characteristic that is set to the
address of the destination of the link. The procedures that can be used
to create addresses are listed in section 12.5.8 "Addresses" and
include: (idref-address string), (hytime-linkend),
(current-node-address), (entity-address string), (sgml-document-address
string1 string2), and (node-list-address). These all seem to create an
address based on the original location of a node within the source
grove, not in the flow object tree. I guess what I am looking for is
some way (perhaps an address flow object class) to attach an address to
the flow object tree.

Has anyone else come up against this? Any insights?

-dan

--
Daniel Speck                              e-mail: dspeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Research Engineer                          voice:     +1 301.548.7818

begin:          vcard
fn:             Daniel Speck
n:              Speck;Daniel
org:            Thomson Technology Services Group
adr:            1375 Piccard Drive;;Suite 250;Rockville;MD;20850;USA
email;internet: dspeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx
title:          Research Engineer
tel;work:       (301) 548-7818
tel;fax:        (301) 527-4094