Re: Jade and Processing Instructions

Subject: Re: Jade and Processing Instructions
From: Norman Walsh <ndw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 11:46:30 -0400
| How does one go about recognising and handling processing instructions
| using DSSSL? Indeed, is it even possible? I do not have any
| documentation regarding this matter.

There's no easy way to match PIs.  You basically have to walk
through node lists and look for them.  This issue has come up a
couple of times. Search the archives for Chris Maden
(crism@xxxxxxx)'s posts about (process-text).

(The only code I have handy that does it is extremely convoluted
because it looks for _paired_ PIs used as psuedo elements ;-)

| A question regarding DocBook, what is the best way of requesting
| explicit line and page breaks?
|
| DocBook doesn't seem to have any builtin support for that sort of
| thing. Is one obliged to make additions to the DTD?

Those really should be PIs.  If you really want to avoid the
process-text solution, you could engage in tag abuse.

Although the DocBook documentation states explicitly that the
<beginpage> tag is for marking legacy page breaks, not informing
the processor that a page break is desired, you could still use
it for the latter.

For line breaks, I suppose <phrase role="linebreak"></phrase>
could be made to work.

--norm