Bibliography support?

Subject: Bibliography support?
From: MARK.WROTH@xxxxxxxxxxx (Wroth, Mark)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 07:46:17 -0700
I *think* this is a DSSSL question, but maybe not -- general comments on
the approach are welcome (desired, even).

I'm attempting to implement a set of bibliographies as part of an
existing (and fairly simple) DTD.  The current DTD simply has a
bibliography section at the end, which is manually updated for each
document instance.  One element of the existing DTD (and DSSSL style
sheets) is a <CITE ID="foo"> element which specifies the element in the
bibliography being cited.
	However, *many* of the documents created with this DTD use
proper subsets of the same bibliography.  I'm about to (try to) modify
the stylesheet to print only those elements which are referenced in a
<CITE>, with a view towards eventually just including the whole
bibliography (preferably by reference) and letting the stylesheet define
which entries appear in the printed (HTML, paper, ...) output.
	In essence, this replicates part of the functionality of BibTeX
(which indeed is its inspiration).

My question is, does this apear a reasonable approach? Is there an
existing set of code that does something like this? I confess that while
the basic concept is appealing, it's not at all clear to me how to get
there from here (the place I'm worrying is how to get the bibliography
in a reasonable order -- in the order of citation appears simple, but
I'm fond of alphabetical bibliographies).