Re: XSL support in Jade

Subject: Re: XSL support in Jade
From: Richard Light <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 14:45:51 +0100
In message <35E62B4A.664357D2@xxxxxxxxxx>, James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
writes
>I would like to be able to use the tree construction part of XSL with
>all the Jade backends.  Since the Jade .fot output is XML, you can use
>XSL to create it, so all that's needed is a program that takes the .fot
>Jade output and feeds it to any of the existing Jade backends. You could
>do this to some extent using Jade itself together with an appropriate
>stylesheet, but it would be much better to hook up expat to feed the
>backends directly.  The FOT format would need to evolve a little bit but

A few weeks back (in a purely DSSSL context) there was a discussion of
techniques for processing free-standing .fot files.  At the time we came
to the conclusion that the first technique you mention (writing a
stylesheet that does an "identity transform" on the .fot file within a
standard Jade run) was the only feasible way to go.

However, it would be wonderful to have an expat-to-back-end linkup
instead.  Do you have in mind something which would work with standard
DSSSL .fot output, or is the idea to support .fot output that represents
the XSL formatting objects (which I assume will be different)?

Richard Light.

Richard Light
SGML/XML and Museum Information Consultancy
richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx